Notice of Public Hearing
IL HB 2824 To Be Heard in Committee on March 8th –
Create a Witness Slip to Voice Your Support!
HB 2824 is on the March 8th agenda of the House Business & Occupational Licenses Committee (2:30 p.m., Room 115, Capitol Building, Springfield, IL)
To show your support for this legislation, you must create a “Witness Slip”.
Follow the 6 easy steps below and submit your witness slip today!
Step 1: Create an account at http://my.ilga.gov/Account/Register (you only need to provide an email address/password to register).
Step 2: Log on and click on “House” – then click on “Committee Hearings”.
Step 3: Select the “Week” tab and scroll down to “03/08/17 – 2:30 PM - Business & Occupational Licenses Committee”.
Step 4: Click on the “View Hearing Details” icon in the right column.
Step 5: Scroll down to HB 2824 and click on the “Create Witness Slip” icon in the right column.
Step 6: Fill out the witness slip, and click on the “Create Witness Slip” button at bottom of page.
NOTE: If Wednesday’s committee hearing is canceled, or the bill is deferred, you must submit another witness slip when the bill is rescheduled.
*If you would like to submit written testimony, please contact Mike Bober (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a sample letter and committee contact info.
House Bill 2824 amends Chapter 225 (Professions, Occupations & Business Operations), Section 605 (Animal Welfare Act) of IL Compiled Statutes by adding a new section 3.8 regulating the sourcing of dogs and cats sold by pet shops.
- Provides that a pet shop operator, dog dealer, or cattery operator may not obtain a dog or cat for resale or sell or offer for sale any dog or cat obtained from a person who has committed violations of certain federal laws or regulations, as tracked by the USDA.
- Prohibits sourcing if the following applies:
- The person is not currently licensed by the USDA;
- On the last inspection report, as posted on the Animal Care Information System online search tool maintained by the USDA, before obtaining the dog or cat the person commits a critical non-compliant issue of any of the pet dealer regulations of the USDA under the federal Animal Welfare Act.
- The person commits a direct non-compliant issue of the pet dealer regulations of the USDA on the last inspection report posted on the Animal Care Information System online search tool maintained by the USDA, before obtaining the dog or cat, for violations relating to the health or welfare of the animal and the violations were not administrative in nature.
- Provides that a pet shop operator, dog dealer, or cattery operator is presumed to have acted in good faith and to have satisfied obligation to ascertain whether a person meets the criteria if, when placing an order to obtain a dog or cat for sale or resale, the pet shop operator, dog dealer, or cattery operator conducts a search for inspection reports that are readily available of the breeder the Animal Care Information System online search tool maintained by the USDA.
- A pet shop operator, dog dealer, or cattery operator is in compliance with this Section if the USDA website is unavailable through no fault of the pet shop operator, dog dealer, or cattery operator; however, the pet shop operator, dog dealer, or cattery operator shall obtain the most current inspection report as soon as it becomes available on the USDA website.
- Provides that every dog dealer and cattery operator shall provide for every dog or cat available for sale documentation that indicates that the dog or cat has been microchipped.
- Requires an animal shelter or animal control facility to provide information to an adopter, prior to the time of adoption, whether the dog or cat to be adopted was microchipped prior to being placed in the animal shelter or animal control facility.
- Provides that sourcing of dogs and cats into Illinois is a matter of statewide interest and that a home rule unit may not regulate the sourcing of dogs and cats sold by pet shop operators, dog dealers, or cattery operators.
Please contact PIJAC (202-452-1525) if you have any questions or need additional information.